This oatmeal is the perfect treat for a sunny spring morning when the berries are ripe and juicy. It’s a great way to start your day loaded with nutrition. The oats are heart healthy and adding a dose of antioxidant rich berries along with the calcium from the almond milk and the protein from the chia seeds rounds it out. It’s the perfect quick and easy breakfast and is just delicious!
Hope you enjoy!
Happy and healthy eating,
- 2 bowls of oatmeal
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup mixed berries (I used a half cup each of blackberries and strawberries, but any combination of berries will do)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1-2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp salt
- Chopped almonds or walnuts, garnish (optional)
- Drizzle of honey, garnish (optional)
- Heat up a medium sized saucepan over medium heat and bring almond milk to a boil along with vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.
- Once boiling add in rolled oats and chia seeds and stir to combine. If using frozen berries add in as well. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- Once oatmeal starts to combine together add in your preferred berries with lemon juice and zest. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until fruit is tender and oatmeal is at preferred consistency. I like mine a little thicker so I usually cook it a little longer.
- Once oatmeal is at desired consistency and berries are soft, the juices from the fruit should have released into the oatmeal giving it a pinkish-purple hue. This is your indication that it’s ready to eat!
- Scoop equal portions of oatmeal into two bowls and garnish with chopped nuts and a drizzle of honey. If only eating one portion the other half can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
- If saving oatmeal for another day: put in a microwave safe bowl with a little splash of almond milk and reheat in the microwave for about a minute. Stir it up garnish with toppings and enjoy!
Nutrition (with 1 tbsp of almonds and honey) :
- Calories: 280
- Fat (g): 8.8
- Saturated fat (g): 0.3
- Carbs (g): 46
- Fiber (g): 6.6
- Sugars (g): 25.5
- Protein (g): 6.2